Monday 22 March 2010

Glossary

I have created this glossary, that I will continue to build during my research period. So I can enhance my knowledge and understanding of the literature and vocabulary used by researchers in my field of study.

Methodology: The methodology is the term used for classifying my approach towards my project for example, action research, qualitative, experimental excreta. I can move methods once an approach has been selected.

Primary research: Research collected by the researcher. Information gathered using surveys, interviews and questionnaires.


Qualitative: Detailed information gathered. For example Story based information.


Fieldwork: Observation and work done outside your normal work place.


Appendix (Appendices): At the end of a book an independent collection of material.

Survey: Main emphasis on fact finding. Purpose to obtain information from a selection of population, to present findings. Key pointers to remember if using surveys. Ensure sample population is truthfully represented. To take care with the literature and questions asked to ensure the question means the same to all respondents. If I decide to use surveys in my project, I must choose a number of surveys to carry out so I am confident the outcome represents my information fairly.

Ethnographic: Is term used for people wishing to study an aspect within society or society its self, culture or a culture group.

Action research: Is a practical approach to research. Putting your theories into practise physically.

Quantitative research: Often collected through surveys or questionnaires, designed to gather factual information, and then used to compare against each other.

Jargon: A specialized language, used by experts in many different fields, to ease communication among professionals.

2 comments:

  1. Lauren Thanks for putting this up. Action research - maybe expand on? Has anyone else posted glossary stuff? Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. hay paula

    i dont think anyone has posted glossery stuff up as of yet.Iv put some dairys up but am unsure if im containg everthing i should be in them.

    thanx

    ReplyDelete